Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shipping an Organ

The desert SW is under a very high pressure system for the past few weeks--it's been getting to high 90's in northern Utah, so Az will be super hot. Make sure to stay hydrated.

As to moving items for others, it's probably OK if they help defray your costs--and if stopped by the cops, make sure you state that you are moving your own belongings. A friend of mine from San Diego was delivering some used instruments for the Allen dealer there, and got stopped. Almost got held for not having licenses to move for commercial purposes.

Arizona is in it's monsoon season during which moisture enters the state causing afternoon thunderstorms in the northern part of the state and haboobs and scattered rain in the desert usually during the early evening hours.

If you get caught in a haboob, pull of to the side and turn your lights off until visibility improves. Flooding frequently occurs when it rains in the desert and crossing flooded washes and intersections can be dangerous, so be careful.

Highs in Phoenix next week are predicted to be under 100 the first part of the week due to monsoonal moisture.

Note also that flash floods can occur in narrow canyons and similar areas--the rain may occur many miles away from where the flooding occurs. Listen to the news and stay on high ground.

Perhaps I missed the details elsewhere in this thread but is this the ADC-8000 that was posted on Craigslist long ago with photos of it in a storage unit? As I recall "TheRepetiteur" had purchased it, then put up for sale, then changed his mind, and then was booted from the forum. Did you get all of the amps and speakers that were originally with the organ? As I recall, it is a 13 channel instrument.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Quote Originally Posted by Larrytow View Post
    As always, photos of organ moves are always nice.
    Larry,

Thanks for the well-wishes, and I definitely do take lots of photos. It establishes the condition of the instrument both before and after the move so there is no question regarding cosmetic condition.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenAnalog View Post
    Perhaps I missed the details elsewhere in this thread but is this the ADC-8000 that was posted on Craigslist long ago with photos of it in a storage unit? As I recall "TheRepetiteur" had purchased it, then put up for sale, then changed his mind, and then was booted from the forum. Did you get all of the amps and speakers that were originally with the organ? As I recall, it is a 13 channel instrument.
    AllenAnalog,

I'd rather not post details about the purchase until I have it safely at home, but I can say, it's not the only ADC-8000DKC that's been listed in the past 6 months or so. It seems there's been a glut of them for sale this year--can't imagine why (at least 3). However, I will say, not all the organs offered for sale in that model line have been the same/similar quality. I can discuss it more definitively when I get the organ home and hooked up.

Thanks all, for the recommendations and input regarding weather, climate, & safety. I don't think the weather will affect me much, as we've been having 90˚<95˚ with about 70%<80% humidity. I've been building my garage in that weather for up to 8 hours/day, so I'd take the desert dry any time over what we've had in the North East! My wife has been wanting to move down South for years, but I think she finally understands what she'd have to put up with on a daily basis (not that we haven't had similar weather for a month already!).

Thanks again, all.

Michael

P.S. I will actually be going through Denver, KC, St.Louis, Columbus, Hartford on the way home. Oklahoma has too many tolls (those money-grubbers!), and I've been there before--I'm adding States to my "bucket list" on this trip! My goal is all 50 by the time I leave this world.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

If you were coming through Arkansas I'd offer you a lemonade! Good luck and be very careful!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Thank you, John! I'm headed across I-70 & I-80, so I'll be a bit further North.

BTW, if I were to make an offer to the members of the Forum, in case they needed something picked up, would that be a classified? I can post the message there. What do you think?

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by jbird604 View Post
    If you were coming through Arkansas I'd offer you a lemonade! Good luck and be very careful!
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Admin's a stickler about using the classifieds when you're selling or buying something, but just offering to do a friendly favor and not asking for money, seems it would be ok to mention it here where we all know each other. Won't bother me, anyway. And you really don't want to offer this to the general public, lest you be crossing some legal lines, as has been pointed out above.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Well, I posted it as a Classified, just in case. Who knows who could use the help. I know I could from time-to-time.

Michael

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123