Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping an Organ

I've used Plycon for moving organs. Online at www.plycongroup.com. They have an on-line quote form and will get back to you within a day.

Gebohmusic,

May I recommend searching for a similar thread before starting a new one? I merged threads because this one was just started earlier this month--same information in both threads.

I tried UShip, but received no bids for 1-2 months, so I arranged shipping with one of the carriers recommended. In fact, he could deliver your organ on the same trip. I'll PM you with the details.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Has anyone tried Walter Transport or Keyboard Carriage? They ship pianos, including concert grands, all over the US.

I would call Rich Galassini at Cunningham Piano in Philly. They also ship pianos all over and are Philly’s Rodgers and Johannus dealers.

On my last console move from the New England to Utah, the dealer that was involved got a quote from Keyboard Carriage, but Plycon was considerably less expensive. I'm sure it depends upon the detail of the move.

I used Walter on my last organ move. Took a while but the move went well.

Somewhat related to this thread, I'm considering picking up my organ myself. However, the organ I'm picking up will not fill the truck I'll be renting.

Does anyone know what considerations I should take concerning transporting limited items for others (i.e. pieces of furniture, small trailer, etc.)? Would it be a violation of any transportation regulations anyone knows of?

Michael
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    Somewhat related to this thread, I'm considering picking up my organ myself. However, the organ I'm picking up will not fill the truck I'll be renting.

Does anyone know what considerations I should take concerning transporting limited items for others (i.e. pieces of furniture, small trailer, etc.)? Would it be a violation of any transportation regulations anyone knows of?

Michael
    Michael, I do know some about that actually - not related to organs or furniture, but the same principles apply. Hauling others "stuff" ( no matter what is is really ), and getting paid to do so, is generally considered For Hire Carriage. Technically, you need quite a lot of permits and special insurance to be a For Hire Motor Carrier of Property . This is even more so if you are engaged in Interstate Commerce ( you, the truck, and / or property you are hauling crosses state lines ) and even more regulations technically apply then.

However, if you are merely doing a "Favor" for a "friend" by taking some "stuff" along in a rental truck, since you are going there anyhow, then you should be just fine. And that is done by lots of people pretty regularly I should think.

So says this former For Hire Motor Carrier of Property . Trucks and trailers and autos are property too, of course.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 ! ), E-5AR ( X 2, 1 parts, 1 not ), D80 ( parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( parts ), EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    I'm considering picking up my organ myself. However, the organ I'm picking up will not fill the truck I'll be renting.
    Sounds like you need to find another (or a bigger) organ to fill that truck up. That or get a smaller truck.

Both times I've moved my organ I have rented a small enclosed trailer. It might be a better deal (including gas and comfort) to rent a trailer just big enough for the organ and a vehicle just large enough to tow it (assuming you are planning to fly out and retrieve it).
    Sam

Home: Yamaha P22 and a modified Allen ADC-4500 ... for now.
    Church: Allen MDS-5
    Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, Chorus/Mixture TC Generator, ADC TC Soundfont, and MOS TC Soundfont

Quote Originally Posted by Larrytow View Post
    However, if you are merely doing a "Favor" for a "friend" by taking some "stuff" along in a rental truck, since you are going there anyhow, then you should be just fine. And that is done by lots of people pretty regularly I should think.
    Larry,

Thanks for the insight. That's my plan--for now. Since I'll be making the trip anyway, why not?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by samibe View Post
    Sounds like you need to find another (or a bigger) organ to fill that truck up. That or get a smaller truck.

Both times I've moved my organ I have rented a small enclosed trailer. It might be a better deal (including gas and comfort) to rent a trailer just big enough for the organ and a vehicle just large enough to tow it (assuming you are planning to fly out and retrieve it).
    Sam,

Thanks for the advice, but alas, it's too late--the deed's done. Have the plane ticket and rented truck, only to find out tonight the organ dealer holding the organ for me for quite some time--is only there once every TWO WEEKS!!! It's the only shop they have. They'll get back to me. I'm not adverse to night loading.

Anyway, hope to begin the move next week. Anyone need something moved West to East?

Michael

Michael,

I wish you a good and safe trip. Should be sorta fun, right ? Nice time of the year for a drive though the country too. I think you mentioned that it is in AZ ? It is pretty hot there right now, so that might not be real nice for loading the organ. But ya gotta do what you gotta do; liking the weather is optional.

As far as the "friends" that you will be hauling "stuff" for, the only other advice I have for you is this. If those "friends" are going to give you a "gift" or a "tip" for being such a nice guy, be sure to "accept" it Before you leave.

As always, photos of organ moves are always nice.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 ! ), E-5AR ( X 2, 1 parts, 1 not ), D80 ( parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( parts ), EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast