Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do I Need To Set Up a VPO?

Quote Originally Posted by musicmaker84 View Post
    The Audigy is a great soundcard for a modest price with ASIO capabilities.
    ASIO has been replaced by WDM/KS or WASAPI in GO.
    Quote Originally Posted by musicmaker84 View Post
    $60 for the Audigy (not rellay necessary but sounds more defined than onboard sound)
    Is the soundcard using any kind of sound modification ("optimization") or is the quality difference of the D/A converters audible?

Quote Originally Posted by e9925248 View Post
    ASIO has been replaced by WDM/KS or WASAPI in GO.

Is the soundcard using any kind of sound modification ("optimization") or is the quality difference of the D/A converters audible?

next time I‘m firing up GO, I‘ll check the settings. Recall a bunch of different options for audio.

There are some reviews online that explain the chipset and audio capabalities in greater detail.

I cannot speak to the differences in quality of the D/A converters. To me, the sound is a tad clearer while I find Realtek’s onboard chipset muddier in comparison.

1 members found this post helpful.
    I would encourage anyone starting out with virtual organs to use ASIO drivers with a quality external USB interface from day one. The Mac is an exception to that rule as even the laptops will give you quality audio for two channels. The Hauptwerk basic edition is just $249 and well worth the investment. There is a huge online community of Hauptwerk users and a treasure trove of Hauptwerk recordings shared on contrebombarde.com. The $500 for a proper interface (not a sound card) and the best VPO software will not disappoint. Most of us go on to the $599 Hauptwerk Advanced Edition and it's rare to hear of an organist who regretted that choice.

I'm cheap in the sense that I design and build my own encoder hardware and wait for free to $500 Allen and Rogers 3-manual consoles, so don't think that I'm not careful about the costs.

The o.p. mentioned some kind of Hammond in their o.p. What exactly kind of organ repertoire are we assuming? They also speak further to going to an uber basic one manual and pedal practice instrument because, at the end of the day, what they are after more than real organ functionality is real organ SOUND. Well... respectfully, if that is the case, the better strategy IMO is to source a local instrument in a nice church edifice and negotiate a reasonable fee (which may well turn out to be no fee at all) for regular access to their instrument. Any other plan of action that does not also include the expenditure of multiple thousands of dollars will end in disappointment. Period. Actually, its worse than that. The expenditure of multiple thousands of dollars will still not get the o.p. a pipe organ. However it can get the o.p. a very nice instrument for practice. It will not, cannot possibly, sound better than a fine pipe organ in a live acoustic. But if in response to the proper keyboard and pedalboard commands a reasonable facsimile of organ tone emanates from the speakers and the organist can use that feedback to further their technique ... I don't know ... isn't that about as good as it gets?

Is your head spinning yet with all this advice? I believe the hardest part to acquire/build/find is an AGO pedalboard. If you can find a pedal board there are wiring harness kits complete with reed switches and midi boards available. I got mine at Midi-boutique. My simple start began with my wife's old laptop with 3GB of ram. I started with Grand Orgue and a few free sample sets. I have never worried about a soundcard in a computer because I used a Focusrite Saffire 2i4 midi interface from the beginning. ($180) For speakers I pulled the old Yamaha 5.1 surround sound system out of storage, having never set it back up after moving into my current house. I was lucky to have found a complete midi 3 manual stack, but I did purchase an M Audio Keystation 61 ($180) for use as a portable setup for outdoor Masses. The Keystation 61 uses USB rather than midi cables so I didn't need to use the interface for that setup. In short any 61 key midi controller will work for your 1 manual, although I recommend trying to get your hands on them to test the feel of the keys. They range from light weight plastic feel to almost too heavily weighted. But again, the pedalboard is the harder part.
    Which Watertown are you in? I am assuming Mass.
    ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

Quote Originally Posted by steverose View Post
    My simple start began with my wife's old laptop with 3GB of ram. I started with Grand Orgue and a few free sample sets. I have never worried about a soundcard in a computer because I used a Focusrite Saffire 2i4 midi interface from the beginning. ($180)
    Hi Steve. Can you give more info/block diagram/whatever? I'm trying to figure out how a 2i4 works as part of your setup; and what did you mean about 'not worrying about a soundcard'? I'm confused (which doesn't take much )

Thanks, Bill

2 members found this post helpful.
    Sure. First let me start by saying "Did I say Saffire, I meant to say Scarlett." So the 2i4 sits there with midi in and out cables which go to the keyboards and pedalboard. They are hooked up in a loop where the midi cable goes from the "2i4 out" to the top manual in, then top manual midi out to middle manual in and then out to bottom manual in then out to pedal in then pedal out back to the 2i4 midi in port. Which sound like a lot, but it is just making one continuous loop. If you only used one manual with a pedalboard you would only have three midi cables, one between the pedal and manual and one each going to and coming from the 2i4.

Then for audio, the 2i4 has a couple different output options. There are 4 RCA style outputs labelled 1-4. I use these because the surround sound system used RCA cables as well. On the front there is a headphone jack and 2 volume controls. One is for the main sound and one is for the headphones. I can simply turn the main volume down and turn the headphones up when I want to use them and then turn the main up and the headphones down when blasting it loud enough for the neighbors to hear. This isn't possible on every interface I have found, like on the 18i20 which I got for using multiple channels, you can only monitor channels 7/8 and 9/10 with headphones. Even the 2i4 can only monitor either channels 1&2 or 3&4, not all 4 at once. I only use 2 channels on this setup, so that makes no difference to me.

The last connection is a usb cable from the interface to the computer. This is the only connection between organ and computer.

So I am not using any outputs on a computer sound card. This was recommended for low latency, which if you didn't know is the delay between pressing the key and the sound actually emitting from the speakers. The only way I notice a difference is when playing something fast and rhythmic like a Toccata, it seems my feet aren't keeping up but in reality it was the latency that was delayed, not my feet at all.

Hope it helps clear things up. Here is a stolen from "Classic Midi Works" user manual diagram for how the Midi cables all get hooked up to each other and then the 2i4. And a pic of the front and back of the 2i4.

midi connections.PNG

ALLEN ADC 5000 DK
    Rodgers LDS
    Three Manual VPO project
    Viscount Cantorum VI
    Ahlborn SL-61
    3 Reed Organs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12