Thread: Deagan Chimes 21 note, Keyboard, etc. Madison WI

Deagan Chimes 21 note, Keyboard, etc. Madison WI

This looks like a nice chimes setup for someone. The complete set-up too - keyboard, transformer, chimes, and wiring. Seems like a rather high asking price, but I'm not up to date on chime prices. One of the church's I play for now and then has a set like these, and they really do sound nice.

https://madison.craigslist.org/atq/6588496740.html
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 2 ), E-5AR ( X 2, one in parts, one not ), D80 ( in parts ), FX-1, FX-20, HS-7T ( in parts ), EL-25 ( X2, one chopped, one not ). Allen organs : T12-A, T-12B, ADC-6000D. Baldwin 626. Hammond Concorde. Lowrey CH32-1. A bunch of other Synthesizers and Keyboards. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with VISTA ), Hammond A105, Baldwin 720T, Several various small and medium size pipe organs of many sorts and builders.

It’s kinda crazy how expensive these things are.

I’m looking for a set to add to my Hammond RT-3. I had no idea these setups were worth thousands.

I’ve seen so many of these (or these type) chimes on the walls of old churches... most of he time no one alive in the congregation can remember what they sounded like. They’re usually just ornaments. I thought I’d be able to pick a on up for a couple hundred since every one I have ever seen in person wasn’t in use... but most places I see are asking for more than I paid for the organ.

C’est la vie...
    Before the bird learned to fly, he first went out on a limb. - that's me

1950 Hammond C-2 - at home
    1965 Hammond RT-3 - at church
    1950s Hammond JR-20 Tone Cabinet -at home
    1950s Leslie 21H - at church
    1995 Yamaha PSR640 - home, had it since I was 11
    2009 Yamaha YPG-635 - my own, but it's at church, too
    1950 Everett Series 100 Hepplewhite Console Piano - home
    1960 Wurlitzer Spinet something-or-piano - at Mom's house (she won't let me sell it)

A new set of Deagan chimes is probably over $5,000; Mayland will be less than Deagan--Mayland are solid Aluminum cylinders and a little longer for the same pitch; Peterson are less than Deagan, too.

The keyboards are priced crazy, too: about $450 for a 25 note keyboard, new. Used prices are whatever the buyer and seller can agree to.

Makes you wonder how these companies stay in business.

How many churches are willing and can afford to pay more than $5k for just a set of chimes?

And then, how many come back the next year and buy another set? Haha it defies logic. If Hammond couldn’t stay in business, what do the chime people know that we don’t?

1960 Wurlitzer Spinet something-or-piano - at Mom's house (she won't let me sell it)

Deagan and Mayland were acquired by Organ Supply Industries. I imagine that if OSI hadn't purchased those businesses their products would no longer be available. I have no idea what kind of sales volume they have on chimes, but I suspect it is pretty minimal. Chimes often seem to be donated to churches as a memorial gift.

Of course, orchestras usually have a set of chimes, manually struck, and a quick check on pricing shows them at between $3200 and $8200, so the chimes themselves must be pretty expensive to make. The striking mechanism for cathedral chimes has two actions--the striker, and the damper. In addition it has to have a really heavy duty support mechanism to bear the weight of the chimes tubes and action.

The chimes keyboards are unique in that they have a limited compass, and are physically short compared to organ or piano keys. And they have to be made in different sizes according to the number of notes. Each natural key is of a different shape (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G plus, usually, an end key which isn't notched for the adjacent sharp) and, fortunately, the sharps are all the same size and shape.

Everything about organs seems to be prohibitively expensive. I suspect the supply/demand curves are pretty inflexible--i.e., there is not much change in demand based on price. Digital organs seem to always include chimes, and they sound quite good to my ears. But considering all the specialized work for chimes, they don't seem overpriced.

Chimes have rarely been purchased for home organs, though Maas-Rowe and Schulmerich both offered sets with tuned rods and amplified pickup at lower prices than true tubular chimes.

Artisan is now offering a mini-sound engine for a few hundred dollars, and it could give you chimes voices at a very low price if you have MIDI to drive it. Use gold paint some PVC pipe of differing lengths and hang them from a valence with speakers in it and it would even look like the real thing.

Toodles,

I like the way you’re thinking! Haha I might even rub out the plastic to a mirror finish. Kinda like the Franken-Leslie’s I enjoy reading about so much.

I will resort to my own gumption in this matter, as in others. Patience is the key to landing that special deal.

After searching for a very long time. I was able to snag a Hammond RT-3/21H combo together with a C-2/JR-20 combo, delivered from OH to NC for less than $3k. Luck was on my side.

3AB8A1B4-EFBB-4A1C-A9CB-11BC984707FF.jpg

I have to believe I’ll find something on the lists and classifieds showing “free for pickup” on one of these units, and I’ll jump on it like a stealthy 300-lb cat

Best regards!