Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theatre Organ Sounds Fron a Yamaha EL Electone

ppp Pianississmo Albert Buckenberger Jr's Avatar

Theatre Organ Sounds Fron a Yamaha EL Electone

How to obtain theatre organ sounds from an EL? I have listened to YouTube an EL90T another YouTube an EL25 both sounding like a Wurlitzer. I have an EL87. I have been experimenting with the onboard theatre organ sounds using flanger, vibrato, tremolo, and cannot get even close. There must be a "magic" combinatoion somewhere. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

You may need to get a registration disk with the sounds that you want. Check out BeeSoftware or ELData.org.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an EL87 too, and am really enjoying it. You may want to inspect the PU board inside for leaking capacitors. You can save yourself a lot of headache and cost if you catch and remedy that situation early.

Of course you are referring to this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRJ9H5efN8
    It totally blew my mind (and ears) the first time I heard it, in particular because the guy is a guitar player who just liked to play some blackpool inspired pieces.
    You can see that he refers to "the theatre organ sounds" without explaining that further or answering the questions.
    It is likely some kind of commercial theater organ registration pack for the EL series he is using, rather than the TOIAB (theater organ in a box)?
    Maybe someone here on this forum has the answer and can enlighten us?

That's very nicely played in a good theatre organ style but I'm sorry, that EL25 is nowhere near a theatre sound. Theatre-ish, yes, with flutes and a simulated leslie tremolo along with strings, but not a true theatre sound. You need to be able to adjust that tremolo for starters and I don't think the EL25 will let you do that sort of thing.

Now the bigger models can do some very good theatre sounds but they have to be brow-beaten into doing so as they were not intended to do so! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq50i9UbcKQ is a clip featuring 'The Guv'nor', the inimitable Bryan Rodwell on EL90. The audio quality of the clip is dire, it sounded much more impressive live.

Not sure if Yamaha released the disk he used. I think so, but it will be long out of stock by now. Most will be sold with the organs when their owners trade up or pass away.

It's probably easier to get the free Miditzer or the free Hauptwerk and the free Wurlitzer and play them via MIDI, if you can sort out any latency issues.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

True Andy, Bryan Rodwell is doing amazing job on the EL90 there.
    Here is one place to buy EL registrations floppies:
    http://www.stylediskwarehouse.com/ya...ectones/el.htm

I have the theatre disk from stylediskwarehouse also the theatre organ showcase from Bee Software, along with both of their power voices (style disk) and voice libraries (Bee) voice disks, too, that had some theatre organ sounds on them, too. All loaded in my EL87. I have been experimenting with them, adding in vibrato, flanger, tremolo. different depths and speeds.

mp Mezzo-Piano Hammond-Organist's Avatar

I have a couple of disks from the 1990's used on my EL90 back then, one was by Len Rawle theatre registrations and another by someone I cant remember. They were good and fun to play on the old El90.
    HAMMOND XE200 Special Edition

Assign theatre organ 2 to an upper or lower manual. Scoll down to the flanger. Bring up the flanger on the effects set button next to the LCD. Set flanger to: speed - 75, B (feedback) - 0, depth - 100. This will give a close Wurlitzer sound. Do the same for theatre organ 1 on the other voice button. Set both at 8' octave. Organ 3 is also good for this, same everything, octave and flanger. Keep in mind theater organ 2 is the basis for the Wurli sound and should be used in conjunction with other voices. Adjust volume and brilliance as needed. For more a flamboyant combo. sounds try adding in some percussion on the lead voices section.

I can vouch for that (checking capacitors)! I have an EL90, and had a capacitor that leaked and ate into the board. Before I could change the capacitors, I had to repair the trace, which was one hell of a fiddly job, as it was so small. As I had the board out, I changed all of the large capacitors. Was worth the effort!

Something else that someone mentioned when I was in the process of doing that, was to check the soldering on the connecting pins on that board, as the heat generated can cause cracked joints. When I cheked mine under a magnifier, that was definitely the case.
    Yamaha EL90C,Roland BK7m, Korg i40m music module, Roland SH 201

Hi
    Can you tell me where to find this board with potential leaking capacitors
    I have an EL90 that all works except for Auto chords, bass is fine. Hoping it might be controlled by one of these.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast