Thread: Your thoughts on the Yamaha Genos?

Your thoughts on the Yamaha Genos?

So I found out recently that rather than introduce a Tyros 6, Yamaha decided to completely rename (and re-design) their new flagship model keyboard... at least that's what the Tyros series looked like to me. Anyways, have any of you seen it in person, if not bought one? What do you think of it?

Moved to 'Keyboards' for you!

I think it's great! I did a demo video on it last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxeWRmhqyHA&t=1148s showing off just a few of the sounds and styles that will appeal to the average home player. I now have several students with Genos, most as a result of the video! All are getting on just fine, they've all moved up from Tyros 5. The operating system is different, with the touch screen making things much faster and easier for most things. You have to adjust, as if you try to treat it like a Tyros, it will frustrate you! It's got some great new sounds and styles, and a few neat tricks too. But it's no so far removed from the Tyros and other high end Yamahas that it would frighten you!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Hi Andy,
    The Genos is a fabulous keyboard. Your demo video on youtube shows it off really well. This is only something I could dream of owning !

What does it have/do that a Montage does not? (And Vice-Versa.)

Totally different instruments, Tim. Aimed at different markets, though the lines are sometimes blurred. The Genos is an arranger keyboard/workstation while the Montage is a synth/workstation. You can therefore just sit down and play a Genos and be a 'one man band'. Around 500-600 styles and about 1500 sounds, IIRC. 16 track MIDI recorder, multitrack audio recorder, basic voice editing facilities, tons of DSP effects. Everything that the home player could want (and that's still by far its biggest market) but also enough 'workstation' in there to make it very useful for the gigging musician, singer-songwriter etc.

You might just well have asked "What does a Lowrey do that a Hammond does not?" Originally - lots! Then, through the 70s and 80s - not that much. Now - lots!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.