Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha EL-90 freezes while booting - hangs on "Electone" screen

A little off topic: I really think it is great how „old“ organs are valued here by the fans of these machines and lots of effort and time is invested to get them going again. A few days ago I read an article about Amazon transporting fully functional technical equipment (like e.g. refridgerators) that was send back by customers a few days after purchase to the waste dump, just because it is cheaper than checking their funtionality and doing some repackaging. Isn‘t that crazy? Or are we crazy not to throw away an organ when it needs a repair after 20, 30, 40 years?
    Owned Philips Philicorda, Viscount Fair Lady and Cabaret de Luxe, Hohner Virtuos, Yamaha electone c-605. Now playing Hammond Aurora Classic, Technics GA3 and Roland G-800.

I don't think the manufacturers ever thought that their products would still be in use so many years later. A ten year old fridge or freezer is a rarity these days (though mine are that old and hanging on in there!), none of my washing machines (apart from my first Zanussi that did twelve years) has ever gone past five years and the last one only did three before becoming uneconomical to repair. A five year old phone is so much junk and so on. But a thirty year old organ running sweetly is much more common!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

For me if you love something enough you'll keep it going. One of my Motion Picture Movie Projectors is fast approaching 100 years of age in a few years, yes its a labour of love keeping it going but also gives me and others great pleasure. The size of the motor starter cap in these old girls is something to behold nearly a brick size and when the leak oh boy... Its special to project a silent film and play the organ for it at home something we have done for a very long time whilst the projector turns over another passion of mine. We did have an incident where a capacitor exploded in a machine during a show which lit up the room as everyone jump up simultaneously but the machine still kept going, funny when I look back at some of my capers.

Our Church has a couple of tone wheel Hammonds in it all turning over nicely also a digital piano which has been nothing but trouble, another up the road has a C3 played a couple of times a week which is really nice to have a go at from time to time after being presented with a key.
    HAMMOND XE200 Special Edition

Sounds like there's a clear consensus, so I will change them all in the near future. Thanks for the advice.

The difference is they’re still making new fridges.

And we're not allowed to burn the old ones with fire. What would H&S say!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

So, Hammond-Organist, what prompted you to change your EL90?

I have just changed mine for an AR100 after a lot of discussion on this forum, as you will know if you read these threads as keenly as I believe you do.

Liked the AR100 finding it fun to play particularly the Blackpool registration complete with hand clap and do have a few friends who have that fine organ. One sits in a Blackpool hotel and played most days so they seem reliable enough with quick registrations as well.
    Could never find fault with the EL90T but it was very much a blank canvas once delivered new, did get round it after several months exploring. Used to like recording playing it eventually making 15 or so CD's now archived so a nice keep sake.
    HAMMOND XE200 Special Edition

I’m glad you approve of the AR100. There are things on the EL which are better than the AR, and vice versa, but on balance I am happy I changed, however abstruse it seems changing from a nearly 30-year old instrument to one only six years newer.

There’s an interesting article by Yamaha’s Andy Carvill on the development of the AR in the July/August 2018 edition of Organ & Keyboard Cavalcade.
    Last edited by RogerM; 06-18-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pieanoman View Post
    A friendly word of advice: the other caps will likely die too, and when they do, you run the risk of acid damage to the lower side of the PCB, just as Andy has noted above. You would be wise to replace all of them on the PU board. You can order them all from DigiKey for about $50. I can send you a list of the capacitors you need (I did the repair on my EL-87 recently)--just ask. Better to fix it now and know you don't need to worry for another 20 years, if at all possible. Enjoy your EL-90. Great machine!
    I just ordered the rest of the capacitors for my PU board. My wife loves this organ too much for me to take chances.

Pieanoman, thank you for providing the capacitor document for the EL90/EL87/EL70 PU board. It was very helpful and saved me a lot of time. I did find one capacitor on my EL90 PU board that is not listed on your document, and this may be due to a difference between the EL90 and EL87. In case you want to add it to your document, the capacitor on my EL90 PU board is C221, which is a 100uF / 16V cap, identical to C218.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12