Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does This Organ Exist?

Dutchy,

Tonal finishing on a Johannus requires Intonat software, which is available to end users at a modest additional cost during or after the purchase of the organ. Some dealers will provide a complimentary copy.

Within Intonat, one can view and change the volume (note-by-note) and channel assignment for each stop. Mixtures appear as separate ranks that can be temporarily enabled or disabled to facilitate voicing.

Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    Forgive me, but I just want to flip on the switch and play--not tinker

Michael
    I think we are after the same thing, Michael. Since I just got my organ a month ago, I am just trying to get it set up optimally.

I realize that these thoughts are subjective. People have different ideas about what is important. And lets face it, we are probably all chasing an ideal that will never exist. Most things are a trade off. Also, just like after I buy a new car, I am thinking about what I would like in the next one.
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Quote Originally Posted by voet View Post
    I realize that these thoughts are subjective. People have different ideas about what is important. And lets face it, we are probably all chasing an ideal that will never exist. Most things are a trade off. Also, just like after I buy a new car, I am thinking about what I would like in the next one.
    Planned obsolescence--I think that's the term for it. Good analogy with automobiles. It seems like no manufacturer can get the features I want in a car. They always try to talk me into something they have on the lot.

When I purchased my hybrids, the first one the salesman succeeded in talking me into a CVT instead of manual transmission, and a different color--the car on their lot. I sacrificed 10 mpg for that decision. A year later I went in again to purchase a 2nd hybrid, and he tried to talk me into a 4-door model for carrying passengers (25 mpg less than the model I was asking for). I asked how many times he'd made the 30 mile commute to work with me! He said they didn't have the exact car I wanted anywhere in America, so I told him, "Make it!" "But it'll be 2-3 months to build." "I'll wait." And I did wait and FINALLY got the car I wanted (avg. of 60 mpg for the last 13 years).

It is unfortunate organ dealers are the same way, trying to sell you what they have rather than what you want. I suppose it gives them a job.

I wonder what would happen if the consumer could speak directly with the manufacturer? Would we get a variety of haphazard organs, or would the power of crowd-sourcing result in a few top-notch organs? I guess we'll never know in our lifetimes [sigh].

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

@ Don60
    I didn't know that. Thx for the reply.

@Myorgan:
    It is unfortunate organ dealers are the same way, trying to sell you what they have rather than what you want.

@ both: I cannot resist sharing part of my organ-buying-story here. It illustrates the qoute from myorgan.

I met an Johannusemployee (!!) and talked with him about my doubts between Viscount Physis and a Johannus. He knew I wanted to work with voicing softweare, ie Intonat. I told him I tended to Viscount because it seemed they had beter intonation possibilities. He didn't care! He not even tried to explain the possibilities of Intonat!

And because the Physis Edotor manual is online so everyone can have a look, and the manual for Intonat is carefully hidden by Johannus, I did not consider buying a Johannus anymore. Furthermore, it seemed no dealer was interested in demonstrating me the Intonat, and the Physis organs have intonation software on board, so in the shops of the dealers I could experiment with Physisintonation but not with Johannusintonation.

So, i think myorgan is right, not only for the US but also in NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    I met an Johannusemployee (!!) and talked with him about my doubts between Viscount Physis and a Johannus. He knew I wanted to work with voicing softweare, ie Intonat. I told him I tended to Viscount because it seemed they had beter intonation possibilities. He didn't care! He not even tried to explain the possibilities of Intonat!
    Dutchy,

I wonder if your illustration doesn't also support another point--dealers and sales people are seldom well-versed in knowing the competition's product so they can have an intelligent discussion about how theirs is superior. Car dealers too!

In Don's case, I have met him and know he is familiar with other manufacturers' products, so he is speaking from personal experience. So are people like John, Toodles, and Dave.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123