Thread: Lubrication for Spencer Orgoblo motor

Lubrication for Spencer Orgoblo motor

I'm trying to find out what to use to lubricate the blower for our church organ - it's a Spencer Orgoblo and was installed in 1921, and (fortunately) is still running fine. I'm totally new to this having taken over for the previous person, so I've been researching as much as I can find through the web. So far, I have found where to get replacement brushes and also the type of oil for the motor (3-in-One Motor Oil SAE 20 has been recommended). However there is a thrust bearing on the end of the motor shaft that has a grease cup, and it's filled with a grease that is red in color. I've been told that "any good lithium grease will do" but as reassuring as that may be, it doesn't tell me what to buy! Can anyone provide a recommendation on brand and type? See attached photo - it's a Westinghouse Type AR motor. Also I'm concerned about the build-up of junk around the brushes - haven't touched anything yet as it's running OK - but I assume it's better to vacuum that out?

many thanks, Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_BCG View Post
    I'm trying to find out what to use to lubricate the blower for our church organ - it's a Spencer Orgoblo and was installed in 1921, and (fortunately) is still running fine. I'm totally new to this having taken over for the previous person, so I've been researching as much as I can find through the web. So far, I have found where to get replacement brushes and also the type of oil for the motor (3-in-One Motor Oil SAE 20 has been recommended). However there is a thrust bearing on the end of the motor shaft that has a grease cup, and it's filled with a grease that is red in color. I've been told that "any good lithium grease will do" but as reassuring as that may be, it doesn't tell me what to buy! Can anyone provide a recommendation on brand and type? See attached photo - it's a Westinghouse Type AR motor. Also I'm concerned about the build-up of junk around the brushes - haven't touched anything yet as it's running OK - but I assume it's better to vacuum that out?

many thanks, Peter

You want a non detergent oil. Never too much.

This is a good article on grease.

https://reliabilityweb.com/articles/...reasing_basics

You have a cup and tube at the motor shaft. The tube transfers heat from the bearing upward to the grease cup and melts the suspended oil which then lubricates the bearing. It's always best to stick with one brand of grease because mixing types can cause a chemical reaction. They may become acidic.

Never blow air into a motor, always vacuum.

Those Spencer's are beautiful machines. We have a 7 hp. and a 3/4 on our organ.

Regards
    Pat