Thread: 3 manual Allen digital, San Francisco

3 manual Allen digital, San Francisco

Is this a TT-4 Custom? The hardware looks like ADC-era, but the peculiarities of the stop list and the console layout do not look like any ADC stock model I'm aware of. The stated need to replace "sound cards" for individual stops also seemingly lead in this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelhoddy View Post
    Is this a TT-4 Custom? The hardware looks like ADC-era, but the peculiarities of the stop list and the console layout do not look like any ADC stock model I'm aware of. The stated need to replace "sound cards" for individual stops also seemingly lead in this direction.
    Probably MDS. Later ADC and MDS organs were somewhat similar. Slim pickin's in on the manual stops, though. Quite a basic organ w/o many frills.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

It looks like a late era ADC custom, which might use the TT-4 system--not sure of the particulars of Allen's custom nomenclature.

I think this is similar in design approach to the Classic I discussed on the forum previously--almost one voice per card, or at least very few voices, and likely stunning results. I doubt it is an MDS because the original church (Grace Presbyterian Church in Walnut Creek CA) has a Quantum 370 per the Nor Cal dealer's site, and I think it more likely to replace an ADC era custom than an MDS Custom based on when the Quantum series came into being.

Also, no console controller, and surely an MDS custom would have that plus indicators.

I'll put my bet on it being a custom ADC TT-4 instrument. He says it was originally designed for 8-12 speakers, now reduced to two. I don't think an MDS with so few stops would have had that many audio channels. But that does better match the number of amps and speakers John found when he serviced that ADC TT-4 instrument. When this one got moved from the church to a home one wonders what happened to the original amps and speakers.
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI, Moller Artiste organ roll player
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers, 4 matching Allen tone cabinets (including 2 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Wow! I want it!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

So the ad says that six of the sound cards are bad, they mean TT-4 cards, I presume. The samples are on EPROMs, so you can swap the boards around freely, just change the EPROMs.

For a no-cost fix one could sacrifice six of the stops. I can see six that I would be happy to live without. (All three of the 16' manual stops, and three of the pedal stops, since it appears to have an abundance.)

And there could actually be nothing wrong with those six boards anyway. I have to wonder if the owner or tech has tried the "Vaseline" treatment on the cage sockets or EPROMs. It could also be a bad USAP card in one of the cages, or a problem with the ADC mixer board. Or the person who re-configured it for just two channels may have mis-wired it some way.

These TT-4 voices are absolutely incredible, and if you have the room to do it, a two-cage organ can be expanded to 16 audio channels. I only wish it weren't so far away!

(My hoarding instincts are kicking in... Truth is, I don't have room for anything else in the shop, and I don't need another organ of any kind!)
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434