Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rodgers SW6 subwoofer?

The SVS sub I have is a cylinder, 46Ē tall and 16Ē diameter (looks kind of like a water heater), and the driver is at the bottom facing down. So, I basically put my phone on the floor facing into the area where you can see the driver.

I donít think my phone records low frequencies so there wonít be anything subsonic to hear...

I did it just for the amusement of watching the driver move in response to the low organ tones, and you can sort of see the 16hz movement on the last long tone. Itís worth mentioning I did not have the stereo up super loudóit was at 4 of 10 on a 45 watt Yamaha amp from the 70s (the sub is 525 Watts RMS, but itís balanced with the main amp). Itís just that so much driver movement is required to produce those low frequencies at a decent volume. It barely moves for >30hz frequencies at the same volume.

Thank you. I tried a Google image search, but it wasn't helpful. Mighty comforting that there's nothing subsonic to hear, as if we'd be hearing it anyway.
    -- I'm Lamar - 1967 Allen TC-4 Project (forum thread)
    -- Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000 for parts - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- Roland RD300nx stage piano - 1899 Kimball reed organ (forum thread)
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Hereís a thread I started comparing my SVS to the Walker Quaker. Thereís an image of it there.

https://www.organforum.com/forums/sh...-Walker-Quaker

Annoying Google image can't even find "Walker Quaker subwoofer speaker" - thank you for the image of both at the same time.
    -- Rodgers W5000C and Hauptwerk - spare W5000 for parts - Conn 643 Theater - Hammond M3 and E-112
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Lamar,

I'm interested to know how the Sunfire you have is performing. I belittled it above because certain builders very unwisely used these to provide all the bass on some huge organs in huge churches (the original 11" cube with a single 10" driver + passive radiator driven by 2700 watts). I knew more than one of them to self-destruct after not too long a period of use. And then I've even known a couple of those enormous 18" powered subs that Johannus uses to burn up. We organ players can be very hard on our equipment!

From what I read online though, it seems to work amazingly well in a more reasonable environment. Might produce plenty of bass and last forever in a home organ setup, though we all know that organs just make more demands on subs than in other applications, more than home theater or typical music listening. But with common-sense usage, it may be a very sensible way to get profound bass without having a massive speaker cabinet in the house.

So I'm wondering if you use it mostly for home theater and stereo music, or more for the organ. And how it sounds with the organ. Can it give you the room-shaking effect of a 32' Bourdon even on long sustained tones?
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Hi, John - I don't use it with the organ much, other than with Hauptwerk, and I don't let it have any 32s. And I actually hooked it up because I wanted to use the bypass function to drive my Conn pipes. That's where the Crown amp - that you suggested Dayton amps for less $$$ right after I ordered it - came in. So this hodge-potted mess is laptop (or organ) to ART 8-channel mixer to Behringer monitors (sitting on organ) with mixer monitor output to Sunfire to Crown amp to Conn pipes.

This is the still current, I think, model with 12" woofer and 12" passive whatchamacallit in a 85 lb box. It sounds like blue-jeans flapping in the wind with a 32 Bourdon from the Rodgers going down low (it has the optional classical voices).

I would NEVER recommend one of these for organs and not at all, ever for 32s.

But it does do marvelous EXPLOSIONS. (Some folks I've read have two of them so they can sit in the middle of them. I tried aiming it in my general direction and even this little woofer can make painful levels.)

And yes, those Conn pipes do sound all right, even with 205 W at 8 ohms. I have the bypass on the woofers all the way up and the Crown set for low bypass 150 Hz.

Now I want to hook them up to the ALLEN.

And off topic, but I see that Rodgers is providing Crown amps now. They say that "it allows them to concentrate on making great organs."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123