Thread: Sowerby's Carillon

Sowerby's Carillon

Sowerby's Carillon is one of my favorite organ pieces that uses chimes. The chimes are played in the pedal in two places in this piece The first time the chimes melody is played alone. However, the second time, Sowerby adds a pedal point on low A flat. When played on a pipe organ, the chime would not be sounded on this note, but on some electronic organs, the chime does sound. It is not the end of the world, but it always bothers me to hear the chimes on that note. So I was delighted to discover that my organ has a Pedal Soloist draw knob that does not couple to the lowest octave of the pedal. That is perfect for this piece.

One other challenge I have sometimes had with this piece, on organs where the chimes begin at tenor A instead of G, the A flat is missing. I once thought about sight transposing it to the key of A, but gave up that notion as not worth the bother.

If your organ has chimes, people probably want to hear them. This would be a good piece to use if you don't already have it in your repertoire.
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Yes...this is indeed a great piece! I heard it first on a Mormon Tabernacle Choir/Organ broadcast back in the '60's. Alexander Schreiner was at the organ and he really brought the piece to life on that magnificent Aeolian-Skinner.

I read somewhere that Sowerby himself grew somewhat tired of the Carillon, perhaps because more organists played IT than most of his other works.

You're right: it's a crowd-pleaser.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbT View Post
    I read somewhere that Sowerby himself grew somewhat tired of the Carillon, perhaps because more organists played IT than most of his other works.
    I tried *decades* ago to learn his "Pageant", failed miserably, and decided to stick with "Carillon" and "Comes Autumn Time"
    R, Bill