Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Allen System 603 thoughts

If you can get it fixed, you should like a MOS-2 Allen. While even MOS-2 wasn't nearly as good as ADC on percussions, chimes in particular, a lot of things about MOS-2 are quite nice. Many very lovely individual stops. The 4' flute on the swell is one of my favorites. A double-computer MOS-2 such as the 705 can have very lovely celestes in unlimited tone colors.

MOS-2 made a number of the optional features of MOS-1 into standard equipment on all models. So you have, for example, "frequency separation" -- an intentional subtle offset in frequency between the two output channels of each computer. So a big multiple computer model like the 705, with its three computers, provides six completely unlocked frequency sources, making for a much more lively and realistic sound field.

And of course the 705 was "top of the line" in two-manual organs, so all the goodies are there -- card reader, crescendo, extensive DM capture action. But note that there is only one expression pedal, since, as in most MOS models, each computer serves swell, great, and pedal divisions, and the audio cannot be separately expressed by division.

Of all MOS organs, from 1971 through 1983, my two favorites are the 705 and the 1105. There are actually many things about these that may be better than ADC, though most people still would take a large ADC over a large MOS-2 due to the greatly improved percussions, divided expression, etc.

And MOS sound is always going to be a little grainy compared to later technologies, though that drawback is irrelevant when the organ is installed in a lively environment where the acoustics can cover up the graininess.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Quote Originally Posted by rjsilva View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. We’ll see where this goes. Considering the unknown cost of repair, if the seller wants to come down to pittance or free then I might consider it (I can’t believe I’m considering a MOS Allen... ).
    Why not? It's how I started with my 505B about 12 years ago!

What John said about the 705 being, in some ways, a better instrument than some ADC models. I still prefer the MOS-2 celestes to the ADC 2-3 celestes on each instrument. It gave a great sense of ensemble with a Romantic flair, something unavailable without customization in the ADC era.

Michael

P.S. The 705 had 8 Alterables, so you could actually use the 8' Cor Anglais in the Great. It is relatively unusable on the 505, except with the 8' ∆oline in the Alterable.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by myorgan View Post
    Why not? It's how I started with my 505B about 12 years ago!

What John said about the 705 being, in some ways, a better instrument than some ADC models. I still prefer the MOS-2 celestes to the ADC 2-3 celestes on each instrument. It gave a great sense of ensemble with a Romantic flair, something unavailable without customization in the ADC era.

Michael

P.S. The 705 had 8 Alterables, so you could actually use the 8' Cor Anglais in the Great. It is relatively unusable on the 505, except with the 8' ∆oline in the Alterable.
    Well, for many years I had to endure a MOS2 organ at my church that was poorly installed (unbeknownst to me at the time) in a room with poor acoustics. That organ really put me off Allenís. Actually, 6 or 7 or so years ago my church had a more modern Allen brought in temporarily to generate interest to getting a new organ. Even that was uninspiring.

I canít say I like all aspects of Allenís sound, for instance mixtures and stronger high pitch stops, but I have come to respect things about it. For instance, I think my organ probably has much better individual quality stops than this 705, but I think overall the 705 would produce a more satisfying sound.

But it is only two manuals...

1 members found this post helpful.
    You may be better off with your current Viscount-made 3m, especially for a home setting. While I think a 705 in a big live room can be about the most exciting sound you'll hear from any Allen, MOS sound is less engaging in a small room. Some folks have good luck adding digital reverb, others don't seem to like the results even with that. And I can tell you from personal experience that even my Renaissance doesn't sound as pretty as I'd like through headphones, but I have played other brands that actually did sound fine that way.

Your statement that even a newer Allen didn't sound all that good in your church may be due to a sincere preference for a different kind of sound. There is a distinct "Allen sound" that may not appeal to everyone equally. And it depends a lot on the environment. In many ways, Allen organs of any age don't really sound their best without the benefit of a big space for the tones to bloom.

In contrast, I feel that certain other brands, such as Viscount and Johannus in particular, and to some extent the latest Rodgers digitals, sound quite good up close, even in headphones. This might have something to do with the way their sounds are sampled -- Allen has tended to take pipes away from their environment and sample in anechoic boxes to extract the "pure" harmonic structure, while others have taken more like the Hauptwerk approach, sampling pipes right on the chest, even when minimizing pickup of the room ambiance.

Anyway, I'd hate for you to get an Allen home and then be disappointed with it! Especially since you have a 3m right now. To be honest, I'm not always sure that my R-230 at home is really the organ I want for the rest of my life. I'm keeping it for now, since I can make recordings on the MIDI sequencer that will play back properly at church. But if I ever quit playing the Allen at church, I may be ready to trade my Allen for a different brand that sounds better with headphones (since I have to play in phones so much).
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Possibly the single most amazing thing to me about my Johannus is the sound through headphones. It is pure, absolute pipe instrument. That is helped considerably by the reverb system, which is much better than any Alesis system I've heard, and also much more controllable.

Tony
    Home: Johannus Opus 370

Quote Originally Posted by rjsilva View Post
    But it is only two manuals...
    . . . And the bucket list begins!

Other than that--what John said.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123