Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Steinway!?

Digital pianos are getting surprisingly good. I'm forever soured on Casio though. Their portable keyboards irritate me.

The only thing I haven't seen in a digital piano yet is true resonance. When you can hear the echo of another instrument in an undampered digital piano, then I'll be impressed. I actually don't know why they don't do this already. It should be really easy to do.

My wife and I went through the music school at university together, and were able to be around many different brands of grand piano. It is interesting that independently (before we'd ever discussed it) we both thought the Yamaha concert grand was the best of the best on our campus, the Steinways #2. My least favorite grand is the Badwins, which to me always had a tubby sound. I have not had the experience of playing a Bosendorfer or Mason-Hamlin yet - I keep hoping!

Anyway - my 2˘.

Tony
    Home: Johannus Opus 370

I really like the sound of darker pianos, which has always drawn me to Steinways. For price-point, though, you're probably better off with other pianos. Yamaha makes great pianos with great action. Bosendorfers are too bright for my liking, and if you thought Steinways were expensive...
    I probably own too many keyboards
    https://bensnacksturner.com/the-fleet/

Quote Originally Posted by snacks View Post
    I really like the sound of darker pianos, which has always drawn me to Steinways. For price-point, though, you're probably better off with other pianos. Yamaha makes great pianos with great action. Bosendorfers are too bright for my liking, and if you thought Steinways were expensive...
    I always thought Bösendorfers as a whole had a rather narrow dynamic range, which limited them to a certain-style literature. I've never heard of one being described as "bright."

Darker pianos? I didn't think the color of the piano mattered? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Since I only own grand pianos from the "golden years" of USA production (1920s) I can't speak about the non-domestic brands currently available in the USA.

My 1925 Weber (5'8" with Duo-Art reproducing system) has a glorious balanced sound from bass to treble and works well in a residence sized living room. The bass is amazing for a piano that size. The action is amazingly light and people love to play it.

My 1925 Mason&Hamlin (also 5'8" but with Ampico reproducing system) has that rich, complex, more mellow sound I love in a Mason. It will be rebuilt next year with bass strings from Ari Isaac in Canada and hammers with felt that matches the originals, from Ronsen.

My 1929 Steinway, well I love the "ballsy" sound of it when played loud. It is a Model A with a 6" factory stretch in the case for the Duo-Art reproducing mechanism, making it very close to 7' long. I put Isaac bass strings and Steinway hammers in it when I had it rebuilt. The Steinway hammers were softer than other brands (we experimented with 3 types before settling on the Steinway hammers) and that helps it work in my 27'x15'x11' tall living room.

But I'm looking forward to having it in a room with more cubic volume so the sound can "bloom" more and I don't have to put down the lid when listening to Percy Grainger pound the keyboard (via the Duo-Art rolls he recorded).
    Larry

Main: Allen RMWTHEA.3 with Rocky Mount Electra-Piano, Allen 423-C + Gyro cabinet, Britson Opus OEM38, Saville Series IV Opus 209, Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI
    Lower Level: Hammond 9812H with roll player, Gulbransen Rialto, Roland E-200, Vintage Moog
    Shop: Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with 18 speakers and MIDI, 4 Allen theater organ tone cabinets (including 3 Gyros, but don't call me Gyro Gearloose!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123