Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Composite Sample Set

Quite an interesting disposition, even if the stops are from varied sources. You certainly have the full range of tone colors covered. I do have to wonder about the use of an "Octaaf" sample apparently for 8', 4', and 2' members of the great principal chorus. Was this a unit rank in the original organ? Or are they all three different but just named the same? I have to assume that this idea works out well, judging by the lovely sounds I hear on your recording. It's just a bit unusual to see that.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

John, the names are confusing, but each is a separate register. They are all from the "Hoofdwerk" division of the Magnussen organ in Laurenskerk, Rotterdam. This is a straight, non-unified instrument, except for the borrowings, which are indicated.

Thank you so much for sharing this, Tbeck. It is remarkable how English the sound is on your recording considering the origin of these stops.
    Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

I guess I thought it sounded English because England is the only country where I've heard the cathedral organs, and these being wet samples, they sound like they're playing in a cathedral. That's how limited my experience is with European organ sound!
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Perhaps I should just think of it as a "generic" cathedral sample set. My experience is also not sufficient. However, I wanted to play a verse with a big solo reed playing the melody in the tenor and I wanted it to sound like a big English tuba, but I couldn't really make it work. If I played some of the solo reeds, I think it would be more obvious this wasn't an English organ. But, I also think the ensemble kind of works.

May I ask what software you use to create composite sample?

The organ definition file (ODF) used by GrandOrgue is a text file. So I didn't use any specialized software to create the ODF.

The ODF is structured and is composed of several different elements, e.g., organ, manuals, windchests, tremulants, couplers, stops, ranks, etc. I have several different templates that I use. I start with a basic template containing thee manuals, pedals, approximately 25 stops, and standard couplers. Since my console only has two manuals, one of the manuals is a "floating" manual, and I have set up couplers which allow me to couple the floating division to either manual, or replace the ODF manual assigned to a keyboard.

I have also written some quick and dirty python scripts to help me create the rank objects. Depending on the samples, there can be several attacks and/or releases for each pipe, as well as tremmed samples with attacks and releases. One of the sample sets I use has 17 lines for each pipe. The ODF consists of over 30,000 lines. Using templates, its possible to create the rank objects using global search and replace in a text editor, but it is pretty tedious. I use the python scripts to set up the rank objects in batches.

I tried odf file once but did not understand what to put where

Johnallen, you can look at the ODF for the demo organ that downloads with GrandOrgue. There is also a help file. In my case, I had to experiment quite a bit to see the effect of changes that I made in the ODF. It's a bit like hacking. But eventually, if you refer to a well made ODF along with the help file, it makes sense.

Is Grandorgur odf easier than Hauptwerk odf?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast