Thread: M 100 (M111) Speaker issue

M 100 (M111) Speaker issue

I have a torn cone in the front speaker. However I cannot figure out how to access and replace. Removing the back panel does not allow for access. And there does not seem to be a way to remove the front panel where the speaker is mounted.

I do not have a service manual and all my efforts online have failed to give clear instructions on how to access and replace.

I've never had a Hammond before, so I am very new to what needs to be done. I did replace some of the tubes, check the reservoir for proper oil level and did a thorough cleaning. But this speaker seems inaccessible.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff
    Last edited by JRaug; 12-04-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Needed a few more clarifying details

Hello Jeff, on my M100 each of the three speakers are mounted with four screws. You should be able to access the screws from inside the rear of the organ fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tpappano View Post
    Hello Jeff, on my M100 each of the three speakers are mounted with four screws. You should be able to access the screws from inside the rear of the organ fairly easily.

I don't think the whole speaker was visible and did not seem accessible. I will try to take some photos tonight, but the last time I took off the rear panel it did not help at all, so I was really unsure what to do next. I was expecting it to be easy and was surprised that I couldn't get to it.

1544042435437-1382206889.jpg

Attempting to upload a pic of mine...

Edit: wow, it worked!

you do not want to remove the whole panel, and how do you know the cone is torn? Is the cloth gone or damaged
    ?
    1956 M3, 51 Leslie Young Chang spinet, Korg Krome and Kronos

It is fixed. It was not a torn cone after all. I was mistaken. I cleaned everything as carefully as I could and it is sounding okay again. I don't play it that often anymore and don't have a leslie to give it that full richness it deserves. I am thinking about selling it, though I'd rather not just do the Craig's List thing.

Anyway thanks to all for your help.

Glad you got it fixed! I'm curious what you symptoms were and what the fix turned out to be, it might help a fellow M100 traveler 8)

It just had that rattling sound like the speaker was torn. It turns out there was just a piece of something. I'm not quite sure what it was, but it got lodged on the back side of the speaker in the housing and would vibrate when played. But when the speaker returned to it's "resting" position, it held it in place and I could not see it. So it was between the metal frame of the speaker (the chassis) and the cone edge or surround. Since that edge has ridges in the design, it was not easily seen from either the front, because of the grill cloth or the back. Plus I was trying to be very careful about touching anything that might still be energized even though it was unplugged.

So all is well. I was able to use the M100 on a recording with some friends on a tune I wrote years ago called The Lazarus Blues. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post links on here for sound clips, so I want to respect that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jeff