Thread: Key not making any sound

Key not making any sound

Hello.
    I got this Pump Organ (I think thats what its called) from my grandma, some time ago.
    But i decided today to see if there was any way for me to try and repair the one key that dosen't work.
    And i have no idea what the issue could be. I've tried to manually press down the (Piston), as i thought maybe there wasn't enough force to make any sound.
    But i'm rather clueless what to do now, so i thought i might ask on this forum to see if anyone had any idea.
    I snapped some pictures, maybe someone more experience with these instruments that give me some advice
    https://imgur.com/a/UZ7E3DK

I'm from sweden, and its a swedish made Pump organ.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcson View Post
    I'm from sweden, and its a swedish made Pump organ.
    That's probably because it's a Swedish pump organ!

Seriously Alexcson, welcome to the Forum. I hope you continue to participate here long after your question is answered. Regarding your question, the cause is generally due to a very small piece of dust stuck between a reed and the housing around it.

To fix the problem, you will need to locate the reed in question, remove it carefully with a reed-puller, and gently blow a puff of air across the reed until it makes a slight sound. You can often see the speck if you hold it up to the light, and look around the perimeter of the reed. The speck of dust will be visible that way as well.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I hope this helps.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Hello Alex and welcome to this Forum. I have always thought that there is no dust in Sweden... just pulling your Swedish leg...

If there is one reed with dust on it, be sure that there will be more so locate the offending one and work on that one only - disturbing any dust in unwanted places will cause a string of events perhaps causing the necessity to do them all. I assume that all the other notes sound properly so the reed will be the first place to look. But if you have some cheeky spiders or other nesting insects like we have down here, do not be surprised to find a little nest in the reed cell or in some other cavity. Remove it carefully with a pair of tweezers. I looked at the pictures after posting this and it seems that the cells are clean so back to the reed itself...

Is the organ a suction or a pressure model?

Nico
    Last edited by Organfella; 12-05-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Hello and thanks!
    I'm in the process or removing the reeds in order to see if theres any dust on them, will update futher progress later today.
    Regarding if its a suction or a pressure model, i have no idea.
    I snapped some pictures of it, I push the pedal, air comes out of the large hole at the back.
    I am, however a bit concerned though. Whenever i push the pedal the air quickly disappears, I don't know if thats because its disassembled, or if the bellows has a hole in it.
    I tried holding my hand over the large hole in the back while pushing the pedal, and it was a very weak woosh.
    https://imgur.com/a/XeVIgMt

Alex

Progress Update: I managed to fix the silent key, but in the process of fixing it, another key was silent, but it was due to inexperience and in the process of removing the reed, i removed the wrong reed.
    So the reason why the other key was silent after i fixed the main key, was that it wasn't fully pressed in.
    Now all the keys are making a sound, and i couldn't be happier.
    This was a fun experience.
    However, regarding the lack of pressure/air. I don't know if i could assemble it back together and try to play it and see if the lack of pressure/air is any better when screwed down or if theres a issue with the bellows.

Well done!

While your organ is disassembled, seal all the holes you can hear emitting air with masking tape and pedal a bit. If the bellows contract, it is a suction model, if it compresses, well, then it must be a pressure system.... Chances are that the bellows itself and/or the feeders are leaking. Pressure bellows are more tricky to restore than suction types but it is doable. Ask many questions, use the correct materials and most of all, do not get to be in a hurry and become imapatient with the progress, like me!

Luck!

Nico
    "Don't make war, make music!" Hammonds, Lowreys, Yamaha's, Gulbransens, Baldwin, Technics, Johannus. Reed organs. Details on request...

Hello.
    So i opened up the front part of the Organ to see what was hiding behind it, and to be honest. I'm rather clueless on what to do next
    I snapped some pictures https://imgur.com/a/1QU8BkZ
    I would assume that i need to disassemble it further so i can take a good look on the entirety of the part

Alex,

Yup, you found the bellows. However, have you taken the back of the organ off yet? You might have more access there without the pedal straps and springs in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcson View Post
    I snapped some pictures of it, I push the pedal, air comes out of the large hole at the back.
    I am, however a bit concerned though. Whenever i push the pedal the air quickly disappears, I don't know if thats because its disassembled, or if the bellows has a hole in it.
    I tried holding my hand over the large hole in the back while pushing the pedal, and it was a very weak woosh.
    I'm also confused which hole you plugged with your hand. It didn't appear to be visible in any of your photos. Are you talking about the narrow hole that spans the width of the organ? If so, that hole should be left open, as it provides air to the reed cells (where each reed is located above).

Michael

P.S. Here are some links that may help:
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Looks like a suction model. The hole at the back you refer to is probably the relief valve located at the center of the back panel of the bellows. It will probably be held closed with a spring on top on the outside. If there is no spring or some other like mechanism it will be open all the time, preventing the bellows from being vacuumed. The two sections each about half the width of the bellows behind the treadle straps are the feeders. Each will have an inside flap valve (inside the bellows) and one on the outside. The valve in you latest picture is the outer one. When the feeders are operated, the outer flap valve closes and the inner one opens to allow the feeder to suck out the air from the bellows. When the treadle is released, the outer valve opens and the inner one closes while the return springs evacuates the air into the atmosphere.

The treadle straps appear to be in surprisingly good condition and so does the flap valve in the picture. The leather must be soft and supple to seal properly. If it is hard and crackly, rather replace it. I have often gotten away with just rubbing some leather cream on to make them supple again. Of course the inner flaps you cannot get to unless you open the bellows itself. In your previous pictures you can see two long slits toward the back of the upper plate of the bellows. that is what Michael was talking about. If you stick some masking tape over that and block the hole at the back, you would have sealed the bellows and can then pedal and check if the bellows cloth is still intact, or perhaps there is a crack in the wood somewhere that leaks.

Nice going. You have a nice looking organ there.

Nico