Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie help needed, Allen Digital Computer Organ

The card memory battery is on the USAV card in the cage, right beside the TG-5 cards. Allen warned us 20 years ago to get those batteries out of the cage. Please do so if it's not been done. The MDS at church was down for two months after battery leakage that happened years ago eventually destroyed some back plane traces. Took me weeks of intensive work to find the damage and repair it.

Batteries were also on the DM3 capture board, and hundreds of them were destroyed by battery leakage before we got most of them removed to external packs.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

This is going to be a dumb question, but how do I access those boards? I'm confident in my soldering ability to relocate the battery if it's there, just need to know how to get in and look for it without breaking something.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeSage View Post
    This is going to be a dumb question, but how do I access those boards? I'm confident in my soldering ability to relocate the battery if it's there, just need to know how to get in and look for it without breaking something.
    ArcadeSage,

Do you have a contemporary console (looks modern in style), or traditional, probably B-style console? The answer to the question I posed will determine how you open the console to locate the battery. If it is the traditional style console, you simply lift the lid, and along the back (hinged) rail, you'll see the model/serial number tag, and a couple of wing nuts holding the back of the organ on. If you turn those wing nuts so they will clear the rail (be careful to protect the back, should it fall outward). That will provide access to the back of your MOS-2 organ.

Once you provide the information given above, we can help you further. You could also share photos of your organ, and we can help much better when seeing the photos.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Here is a photo.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cR8bwgi

It has a roll top.

Hope that helps.

It has a roll top.
    ArcadeSage,

That means your organ probably has the B-style console, and the instructions I provided below will be valid.

Once inside the back of the organ, you will see several boards inside similar to what you see here: https://www.organforum.com/gallery/d...um=36&pid=1141. Depending on the size of your organ, you may have doors that can swing out to reveal other computer cards for the organ. You will be looking for a card with batteries on it. If the repair has already happened, it will be wired to a battery box in the bottom of the console. From what has already been stated, I think I remember that the MOS-2 organs did not have batteries for the card reader memory. IIRC, that was a later (ADC) feature.

Take some photos and share them, and perhaps that will quicken the pace to discover what needs to be fixed.

Hope that helps.

Michael

P.S. Be careful of static charge when dealing with the boards. It's Winter.
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

A few more photos.

Still can't figure out how to get to the inside. I see hinges in back but no obvious way to open it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wlDnmK2

This is the "Contemporary" console. I've never opened one up, but have seen one opened. The upper end panels and lid are glued together, and are hinged at the back, so it opens up like box with a hinged lid (which it is, essentially). There are probably long hold-down screws that go up through the key desk from the bottom, through the key desk, and into the end panels. If these are removed, the hinged operation is probably just a matter of lifting at the edge of the end panels.

Be aware that once the top piece is hinged back, you'll have to remove the roll top. Some roll tops move forward to the closed position and have an alternate track or blocks that stop movement backwards (closed) which can be access to roll the top farther back to remove. Other times the blocks are removed to permit the top to go farther back into the console and then the front is lifted up out of slots when the top is pulled forward. Don't cut the console in any way or force anything. It's meant to be removed easily once you've figured out how it is done.

As toodles suggests, look for a pair of screws, one at end side of the front console "wings." Some versions have the screws underneath going through some metal tabs, others have them on the outside edge of the wings. They are very near the outer edge, just a half inch from the outer edge in fact.

Once they are removed, the entire front of the shell just lifts upward and pivots back like the hood of a car engine. The rolltop is part of the upper portion of the shell and will be out of the way as well at this point. The shell will lock in the tilted position with a boxlid latch, and you will see a little button to press when you want to release the latch and lower the top.

then you'll see that the stop rail tilts backward on its own pivot rods (there may or may not be two screws holding the stop rail to the swell manual, so look for them right below the tabs), and the upper manual is connected to the lower only by an aluminum bracket at each side. You can remove that bracket (and leave it off if you wish), then simply tip the swell keys upward to access the lower key contacts. It's all very simple and wide open.

Seeing your pics, I can tell you that there are NO batteries of any kind in that one. Since it's a MOS-2 organ, the card reader voices are not held in memory, so no battery there. And the pistons are a simple blind preset system, no batteries involved. So you can take that off your list.

If the organ works well, you may not need to do anything to it. You should however look at the speaker cabinets, which will be a pair of HC-12 cabinets. These cabinets will have completely rotted out woofer and midrange cones, unless they have been repaired in the past 10 or 15 years. That is a problem that must be corrected, as the organ will sound terrible until you do!

If the organ doesn't work correctly, there are some routine fixes you can try. But there really isn't any typical maintenance needed on that model, other than general cleaning.
    John
    ----------
    Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
    Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
    Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Smile Allen contemporary model

Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    This is the "Contemporary" console. I've never opened one up, but have seen one opened. The upper end panels and lid are glued together, and are hinged at the back, so it opens up like box with a hinged lid (which it is, essentially). There are probably long hold-down screws that go up through the key desk from the bottom, through the key desk, and into the end panels. If these are removed, the hinged operation is probably just a matter of lifting at the edge of the end panels.

Be aware that once the top piece is hinged back, you'll have to remove the roll top. Some roll tops move forward to the closed position and have an alternate track or blocks that stop movement backwards (closed) which can be access to roll the top farther back to remove. Other times the blocks are removed to permit the top to go farther back into the console and then the front is lifted up out of slots when the top is pulled forward. Don't cut the console in any way or force anything. It's meant to be removed easily once you've figured out how it is done.
    My church had a contemporary Allen that sold very quickly. And I agree with Toodles and John it has very easy access to everything "under the hood". However, it did not have the rolling top; there was no keyboard cover.
    Lloyd

Happily retired organist/pianist from the Church of the Brethren...Allen ADC-4300-DK.
    Primary occupation structural and civil engineering.
    Home...Wurlitzer (ES) Orgatron Series 20 Serial #11608 (retrofitted with MIDI and VPO-Hauptwerk) with Leslie 44.
    Hammond BC Serial #5070 with Leslie 31A tallboy tone cabinet
    A.L. Swan antique pump organ (C.1852) Cherry Valley NY
    Member of the Lutheran Church (LCMS): traditional worship.

A few more photos.

Still can't figure out how to get to the inside. I see hinges in back but no obvious way to open it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wlDnmK2
    It is said a picture is worth at least 25 words.

Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    This is the "Contemporary" console.
    John and Toodles are exactly right. I apologize for the error. I was used to the Contemporary consoles with folding lids rather than roll tops. Their instructions on opening the console are spot on.

Best with the organ.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12