Thread: Autovari (line in) on a H112

Autovari (line in) on a H112

Hi Guys,

Hope some of you can point me in the right direction.
    Last weekend we bought a very nice H112 Organ.
    After we got it home I inspecting it but there is no line in to connect the autovari 64 to it.

So i am looking for a (simple) scheme for a line in connection, ho knows what i have to do to make it work.

Many thanks in advance!

Here she is, isn't she beautiful?

IMG_20181202_110412.jpg IMG_20181202_110422.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Haddewade View Post
    Hi Guys,

Hope some of you can point me in the right direction.
    Last weekend we bought a very nice H112 Organ.
    After we got it home I inspecting it but there is no line in to connect the autovari 64 to it.

So i am looking for a (simple) scheme for a line in connection, ho knows what i have to do to make it work.

Many thanks in advance!

Here she is, isn't she beautiful?

IMG_20181202_110412.jpg IMG_20181202_110422.jpg
    If I am not mistaken, the output of the Auto Vari is an RCA jack. I seem to remember that this is just plugged into the jack on the swell cap cover on consoles.
    My H300 has a different connector than the Auto Vari, it is a multi pin Molex connector, even though I believe that the units themselves are the same.
    I think I have a manual for that, I need to look in the shop tomorrow. It may have a scheme for connecting to the H.

Bob
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.
    '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
    H-324/Series 10 TC
    '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
    Look at some of my rescues:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmann View Post
    If I am not mistaken, the output of the Auto Vari is an RCA jack. I seem to remember that this is just plugged into the jack on the swell cap cover on consoles.
    Bob
    Yes ure right about the rca plug on the autovari, but the the jack on the Swell cap cover is on the M series (i have also an M102) but there's no one the H...........

I do have a manual for the Auto Vari, and I looked thru it thoroughly. There is no mention of connecting this to any other organ other than those with the RCA jack on the swell cap cover.
    My H has a built-in connector on the side of the Auto Vari that a 8 conductor wire harness from the H plugs into.

I am sorry that I cannot offer any help to you. Hopefully someone else with electronics knowledge can assis you as to where to attach this.

Bob
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.
    '54 C-2 & Pair of 122 Leslies
    H-324/Series 10 TC
    '35 Model A (Serial# 41) with a 21H
    Look at some of my rescues:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/58226398@N03/albums

I would try connecting it to the main/echo switch. If connected before the switch, the rhythm would also follow the switch selection. If connected after the switch, it would stay on no matter how the switch was set.

As for connecting, I would remove the top and expose the switches. With the organ on and rhythm running simply connect the ground of the rhythm output to any ground. Then touch the signal to the connection points of the switch one by one until you hear the rhythm. If it’s too loud, a series resistor would likely be needed. I would try a 50K to 100K. Having this resistor also isolates the output load of the rhythm unit from the organ. Once you have sound, try the switch to see if you’re before or after the switch. Once you have it properly connected for proper switch action and your satisfied with the volume, you can make it permanent.

This organ has three channels with one being a bass channel much like a sub bass setup. That channel gets its source from the other two channels. Connecting at the ME switch will allow the rhythm to sound through one of the two channels A or B and allow the bass channel to also pick up the low end. To get rhythm through both A and B channels would simply require a second resistor attached to the same spot on the other channel. Two resistors like a splitter. Both connected to the rhythm output, but then the other ends connected to channel A and B.

The only unknown here is whether the output of the rhythm unit is sufficient to drive the organ amp at this ME switch. If not, it would have to go further back where there’s more gain to be had. Anyway, this is where I would start.

Geo

1 members found this post helpful.
    This is from the H100 service manual, regarding how to connect a phono input to the organ.

...A phonograph, radio, or microphone amplifier will play through the speakers if connected to the grid, pin 9, of V302. This can be done without going into the amplifier by doing the following: purchase a “Y” connector that has an RCA phono plug into two RCA phono jacks. Remove the connector cable from the GRA terminal on the amplifier. Insert the “Y” connector and re-insert the previously removed plug. The open jack is now an input to the amplifier. Neither the expression pedal nor the Volume Soft tab will affect this input the Reverberation tabs must be on to use the input…

The manual also shows a way to add a stereo input which includes a volume control and, I believe, will be affected by the expression pedal. To use the Autovari you would simply tie the audio to both inputs, most easily through a 1/4" stereo jack and plug.

PM your email address to me and I’ll send you the service manual in pdf format which shows various ways to add an input to the organ.

Bruce
    Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Oké Thanks Bruce, that was helpful.

I tried that out tonight, it works but...... very very very soft, almost silent, until I switch on the reverb, the hole thing comes to live.
    But I don't like music with a constant reverb so much, at all..... .

Can I, without any problem, disconnect the hole reverb tank ore do i have to pull tubes?

Not 100% sure about the H, but on the T and L, I used to add an extra input for a drum box by connecting to the Volume Soft tab. That might be post reverb. I like reverb on the organ but not on drums (unless for special effects).
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.